February 23, 2018

My Mother In Law's Tongue

I bought a Sansevieria Trifasciata plant  (also known as a mother in law's tongue or snake plant)  through Amazon this past week. It's a plant which is primarily grown for it's slick sword like long leaves. This is a slow growing plant that anyone can grow because of it's low and high sun light tolerance and ease of watering. This is basically why I bought it. I've had too many problems with loads of gnats on other plants due to store bought soil that had eggs in the soil. I finally had to get rid of all my plants when I was living in another apartment in another town. And the first year here because of my love for bananas I had the same problem. Now it seems the bananas don't attract them anymore. Must be a new type brand banana. Hopefully I won't have that problem again.

Facts And Care I'm Told
  • Temperature: Average warmth is fine of approximately 60-75°F (15-24°C) and no lower than 50°F (10°C).
  • Light: The mother in laws tongue is well known for coping with direct sun and low light conditions, although bright light conditions with some sun light and shade is preferred.
  • Watering: Because this plant is a succulent it stores water within its foliage, so it is not necessary to keep the soil damp. Water from spring to fall when the soil becomes dry to the touch and during the winter only once a month  (some say not to water for 2 months in winter).  Be careful not to over water as this can cause the root and base of the plant to rot.
  • Soil: I would just use a common well draining cactus and succulent potting mix available from all garden stores.
  • Re-Potting: The snake plant does not enjoy being re-potted very often, so re-pot only when the pot cracks from growth. They're best potted within a clay pot that can crack once maximum growth space within the pot is used.
  • Fertilizer: During the main growing season (spring - fall) feed with a diluted cactus and succulent fertilizer once a month.
  • Humidity: Average house humidity is advised - but this plant can tolerate dry air conditions and drafts.
  • Propagation: Propagate by division when its re-potting time or when you see enough plant growth. You may also remove offsets that appear near the base of the plant or propagate 2 inch leaf tip cuttings. Dividing the plant seems to be the most successful approach.
  • Note: This plant absorbs nitrogen oxides and formaldehyde and creates nighttime oxogen. In other words a good house plant. An interesting research program has been done by NASA using a few selected plants (one is this Sansevieria) for air purification and to curb "Sick Building Syndrome. "Short video below with my NYC accent LOL!

My maternal grandmother had one for 40-50 years she kept by her door with many other plants. It was tremendous and she rarely did anything to it. I'm told they can grow up to 3 feet tall. Every so often I'll let you know how it's doing. As for me, at one time I had 15 different house plants in my home and never had problems growing any.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ha-Ha Thought For The Day


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for you dear family and friends, have a day of blessings.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info on this plant. I've never heard it referred to as a snake plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope your plant thrives. I was just reading recently that it is a good one for helping you stay healthy indoors...So interesting! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for sharing with us. We'll be watching to see how it does!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a beautiful plant. We have similar accents Toni so I didn't notice one on you. I say cawfee, chalk-let, wadder for water. I made a video today with my granddaughter and I could hear it so clearly lol.
    I love the white pot it is in. Very nice.
    Is this the plant that makes your voice go silent? I know its poison but I think it also silences the voice.
    I like the fact that it takes away the formaldehyde and makes pure air.
    My relatives always had one in the house but I never did. Might be time to look into one. I didn't know Amazon sold plants too. I usually just go to home depot or get one at Shop Rite.

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing comments from family and friends. Thank you so much for leaving one. 💜 Many blessings dear friends.