March 7, 2018

Wednesday's Poetry Day ~ The Country Home

Growing up in New York City, the Bronx and being a so-called city girl I didn't know what country life was like until I moved upstate in the "country" Town of Germantown. What a difference from the city home and streets I grew up in. I do miss the hustle and bustle of the city especially walking to many stores and the subway. But I have grown to love the country and the peace and quiet. I pictured what it would be like if I grew up here, and wrote the following poem when seeing this painting I found on my flash drive titled "Country Living" by Thomas Kinkade.


The Country Home

Walking along the country road
In the distance stands our home
With fields of hay and lush green grass
Where deer and wild pheasant roam

The big old oak tree stands alone
And a tire swing is hanging low
I watch as laughter fills the air
As little brother swings to and fro

On the porch Grandpa sits in rocking chair
While Mama's making dinner inside
Grandma sweeps the dirt from porch steps
And in the pond ducks gracefully glide

The farm tractor roaring on the hill
With Papa preparing the fertile ground
To plant the fields with golden corn
As all this adds to the country sound

Oh the memories of those bygone days
Of our family life so long ago
Where in the distance down the road
Stood the country home that I miss so.

Toni Taddeo ©
Thought For The Day


Until the next time dear family and friends, have a day of blessings.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE that poem. You have such a gift for words and poetry. That stirred up happy memories and thoughts in my mind. I was born on a farm in PA...but we moved to FL when I was five. However we still lived in the country, just not on a farm anymore. My Dad missed his tractor, and my Mom missed the animals and the garden (but not the canning!) We were fortunate that our neighbors behind us had cattle and even a donkey or two, and maybe even a horse or two. They would come up to the fence dividing our property and we could pretend we still lived on the farm, without all the work!! I miss that home...my parents are long gone and strangers live there now. I don't even like to drive by as it makes me too sad to think my parents are not in there waiting to welcome me home. But I know where they are, and they will welcome me "home" someday!!! thank you, Toni, for this nostalgic walk down memory lane today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your compliments dear Pamela. I agree we will be welcomed home with them some day.

      Delete
  2. You are so right, fresh air and sunshine hard to beat. We had some sunshine for a day or two but I heard that a frost is headed our way again. I am wanting to get in the dirt and plant! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish our weather was just frost but a major white out snow storm is what we have. The second biggest one in less than a week. Hugs and blessings back dear Cindy.

      Delete
  3. Hi Toni, I am a city girl too. When I was back east in 2008, I loved NYC and the countryside of Maine. Stay warm as I hear more bad weather surrounds you. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see what I see out my window Susan. Snow coming down 2-3 inches a minute and heavy white out kind. I'm definitely warm and cozy inside with no plans to move. LOL! Just pray I don't lose electricity. Hugs back my friend.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading your poem today, Toni. It reminded me of when I was growing up on a dairy farm. Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Dianna. I'm so glad my poem brought back good memories to you and others.

      Delete
  5. Love this. I can just feel that place as you painted the entire picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. I truly appreciate it my friend.

      Delete

I love seeing comments from family and friends. Thank you so much for leaving one. 💜 Many blessings dear friends.