May 24, 2019

Sky Watch Friday ~ Memorial Holiday

Each year I re-post this blog entry as a reminder for the holiday. I for one, never considered Memorial Day a holiday. To me it is more of a Remembrance Day and I grew up calling it Decoration Day. I've had members of my family seriously wounded in many of our wars starting from WWII. One of my uncle's was reported Missing In Action and was a POW during the war. He said he carried a photo of me as a child inside his ring to keep him going. I was 9 years old at the end of the war. As a young girl, I remember the many trips to different cemeteries on Memorial Day with family that spent the day crying over their losses. I usually spend the day quiet and praying for the wounded men and women and the families of our youth who lost their lives for our freedom and our country. I will also spend the day praying for all the young men and woman who are deployed and fighting what seems like a never ending war, that they get home safe and soon to their homes and families.


I remember all those lost heroes in poem also

War Heroes Remembered

Remembering the day in early morn
Going to grave sites and silently bow
Quietly proudly to love and mourn
These heroes of wars then and now

I will always give my heartfelt thanks
I kneel before your gray marble cross
You who answered our country's call
Now laid to rest and covered with moss

The world may now have forgotten
Those who served this country well
Veterans who have given their all
Yet returned home in a box from hell.

But I remember and will never forget
Our war heroes and the price it cost
They proudly fought to keep us free
And paid with lives now forever lost.

Toni Taddeo ©


Click On → Skywatch Friday ← To join in.

I will be posting Saturday 9 and maybe Sunday Stealing but I won't be posting much each week after this as I notice there is little activity in most blobs lately. Until next time dear family and friends be blessed.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful reminder of what Memorial Day is really all about. I know we do tend to forget. Many think it is just the way to start the summer. We do need to take the time to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. We tend to forget that without their willingness to fight for our freedoms, even to the point of losing their own lives, we would not have this great country and the freedom to enjoy a peaceful picnic at this time. Praying for our nation is of utmost importance right now. We are in a very perilous time. I hope you won't go too far away in your blogging. I do enjoy your posts. I've been a bit lax lately in reading and writing...but I love our time together here and the wonderful friends we have made...so please don't go away too long. You are very valuable to all of us...seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Toni...hope you don't stay away for long, my friend, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very beautiful tribute to the true meaning of Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story of your uncle touched me deeply. About 7 years ago, my favorite uncle died and among his papers were the letters I wrote to him when he was in Vietnam. I was very young -- grade school -- and they were silly letters on lined paper in a school girl scrawl about Batman, the new gym set, spelling tests ... I never knew how much those letters meant to him! I'm grateful you shared your story.

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing comments from family and friends. Thank you so much for leaving one. 💜 Many blessings dear friends.