May 25, 2019

Saturday 9: God Bless America

Being it's Saturday I'm joining in on  *Saturday 9*  for today. Hope You join in too. It's a fun meme.

Deanna Durbin ~ God Bless America

Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of this week's tune? Hear it Here

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?  Yes In our Town Park there are memorials set up for each war.

2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents?  Yes when I was a young child my father took me to see FDR on the Freedom Train as it rode past near our Bronx neighborhood. It's a vague memory now. I mostly remember being seated on his shoulders.

3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?  No, I don't travel anymore.

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?  Grilled hot dogs, bratwurst, Italian sausage  (not at the same time)  and homemade Italian potato salad.

5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?  No, it hasn't reached that point yet. The temps here are only in the low 70's right now.

6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?  Not counting the last one or two generations. Most of my family came from Italy and Canada. The original families from Canada came over from Italy to Ellis Island and landed in Canada and the others like my fraternal and maternal grandparents came from Italy to Ellis Island and landed in New York. My siblings and I are first generation Americans. My parents came here from Italy.

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.?  Many of them and too many to list, mostly musicals from the 40's and early 50's. My favorite genre right now would be Sci-Fi, Murder Mysteries and Action and Adventure Marvel Comics movies.

8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?  Yes when I was living in San Gabriel California, my daughter took me many times to LA. I've seen all the well known attractions.

When I moved to San Jose, CA to stay with my brother and sister-in-law I got to see the Lick Observatory. Driving to Lick Observatory is a one hour drive from San Jose. The road is good, but very winding going way up the mountain. It's a one lane very curvy road with no safety shoulders and with mirrors on the each side around the curves to see if other cars are coming down or up the road and there are no automotive services or gas stations for 20 miles driving up to the observatory: mud slides, rocks and gravel or debris can cause hazardous road conditions. My brother drove and my sister Phyllis who was there on vacation and I had our eyes closed and praying all the way up. As breathtaking and wonderful as the Observatory was, today I definitely would skip going up that mountain again. 😲


I also went up another mountain πŸ˜„ on a different day and earlier time with my ex and my Mom to The Hearst Castle. We had to take their tour bus up the winding  hill but I didn't have to close my eyes on that trip. It was gorgeous there. As Hercule Poirot would say when we saw it getting off the bus, "It looked like a giant birthday cake". 😊


9) Random question:What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?  I still hate cooked carrots in any dish and won't go near beets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until the next time dear family and friends, be blessed

13 comments:

  1. You saw FDR! WOW! That's so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome to have experienced that bit of history with your dad! I agree, cooked carrots are not among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mountain trips sounds amazing!! Have a great Saturday and weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Memorial Day weekend, Toni, Lucky you getting to see FDR, he's my favorite President!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great memory with your dad seeing FDR!
    It is supposed to be close to 90ΒΊ today. This is why we keep having tornado outbreaks. It is so humid too.
    I love beets. I always have. My granie used to can them and I loved them. Loved your answers! Have a nice Memorial Day weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting history you have! I like beets and carrots and only recently learned how good beets are for you. That is neat that you got to see FDR. Have you made many trips to Italy to see family?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh,

    i bet our favorite films travel along the same thread. My favorites were the old classics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I want to live in your blog cover picture. My husband would never have to wonder where I was. Absolutely breathtaking! I also loved visiting the Hearst Castle and yes, a birthday cake describes it well. This was such a fun post and I enjoyed reading your answers. Have a great Memorial Day weekend in cool, sunny California. We are already seeing a heat index in the 100's here is humid Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, carrots and beets are two of my favorite vegetables!!! Sorry!! I'm wondering what Italian Potato Salad is like. Do you have a recipe to share? I have seen Pres. Jimmy Carter and President Ronald Reagan fairly close. Believe it or not, Jimmy Carter was in a McDonald's in GA, near his hometown. Ronald Reagan came through Ashland, Oh, when we lived there. We were watching the "parade" along the sidewalk and saw him in the car going by. That was exciting. Our boys were young and really excited to see him. I've never been to CA., and don't care to go. Have a blessed weekend. Oh, my father's great-grandparents came over from Germany. I don't know about the others...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a big fan of beets myself. I am so intrigued that you saw FDR! That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would LOVE to see Hearst Castle, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.. you saw FDR.. thats so cool! My daughter is Jimmy Carter's cousin on her fathers side.
    You got to see a lot of California, very interesting place. I would not like going up a mountain like that either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I liked California while I was living there. I ended up coming back to New York in less than a year. I missed my seasons.

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing comments from family and friends. Thank you so much for leaving one. πŸ’œ Many blessings dear friends.