August 25, 2018

Saturday 9: Think (1968)

Being it's Saturday I'm joining in on  *Saturday 9*  for today. Hope You join in too. It's a fun meme.

Saturday 9: Chains (1962)
In fond remembrance of The Queen of Soul (1942-2018).

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it Here

1) As befits one of America's premiere artists, Aretha Franklin sang at three Presidential inaugurations. The first was Jimmy Carter's in 1977, when she sang "God Bless America." What's your favorite patriotic song?  Actually it's the same as Aretha's "God Bless America".

2) The daughter of a Baptist minister, Aretha grew up with church music. She told Rolling Stone one of her favorite songs was the hymn, "Victory Is Mine." What's your favorite religious song?  I have two that stick in my head, "Amazing Grace" and "How Great Thou Art".

3) She welled up a bit when President George H. W. Bush presented her with the nation's highest civilian award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. When is the last time you shed a tear?  Whenever I see anything sad regarding children.

4) In 1980, the Queen of Soul sang for the Queen of England in a Command Performance at The Royal Albert Hall. Have you ever been to London?  Only through PBS Masterpiece, Acorn TV and BritBox. 😊

5) Since Aretha had many honorary degrees, it would have been appropriate to refer to her as Dr. Franklin. Who is the last person you referred to by his or her title (Officer, Father, Sgt., Dr., etc.)?  A priest. Father Ted.

6) In this week's song, Aretha tells her lover that it doesn't take a high IQ to understand what's going on in their relationship. Do you know your IQ?  It's been years. The last time when I was 16 it was 160 (yes the same as Albert Einstein). Only in my day I wasn't treated special. Who knows what level it would be today 63 years later. 😌

7) A sculpture of Aretha is on display at Madame Tussaud's in New York. Do you think wax museums are cool, or creepy?  It depends on what I'm looking at. Mostly creepy.


8) Aretha and Motown legend Smokey Robinson were literally lifelong friends, since they were playground buddies in Detroit. Smokey is one of the only people who can claim to have seen The Queen of Soul with a bucket in a sandbox. If we went to the playground today, would you head for the swings, the slide or the jungle gym? Or, like Aretha, would you play in the sand?  Definitely the swings. I never cared for sand boxes and my fear of heights kept me off the jungle gym.

9) Random question -- Do you like pumpkin seeds?  Love them. Here is my roasted pumpkin seed recipe: Rinse and de-flesh as many pumpkin seeds as you can shake (in a baggie) in olive oil. Spread thinly on cookie sheet. Shake garlic POWDER or minced garlic over seeds and lightly salt. Bake at 300-350 for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. Watch to be sure they get crispy, but not burned. ~You'll love them~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keeping With The Subject, Quote Of The Day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until the next time dear family and friends, be blessed.

15 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your answers this morning. I love pumpkin seeds and thanks for the recipe....have a nice Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers, Toni. Hope you have a lovely day and I can't get through Amazing Grace without sobbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the pumpkin seed recipe. I've made them for years, but I've never shelled them before roasting them. I'm thinking that would be so much better...the seasoning would be right on the good part. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garlic with pumpkin seeds? I am intrigued!

    I've been flirting with BritBox, too. I spend too much on cable, but still, it calls out to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saved $100 a month by going with Roku and just the apps I want. Here in my area we have no choice of cable companies to select from as GTel is the only cable company in the area.

      Delete
  5. Hi Toni!! Loved your answers! I was searching for some Agatha Christie stuff to watch and saw it was all on BritBox, well a lot of it. I didn't get it yet. Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netflix might have some you can see too. :)

      Delete
  6. I, too, am toying with BritBox... so many good mysteries on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT way I might like pumpkin seeds better, but it sounds like an awful lot of work for a very little reward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed all your answers, I agree with you on God Bless America, I love the Star Spangled Banner too. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good recipe for those pumpkin seeds. I have enjoyed almost all of the productions by BBC. I just wish they could not hold us in suspense for a year waiting to see what happens next. And I always love Amazing Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite an IQ you got there. I like pumpkin seeds because they grow pumpkins. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can join Mensa, Toni! It used to be 150 to join but they lowered it sometime back.
    I enjoyed reading your answers a lot. See you at the swings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but at my age and who knows what my IQ is today, I doubt if Mensa would be interested. LOL!

      Delete
  12. I'm another one for Amazing Grace, when I'm are in the mood for it. lol Enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing comments from family and friends. Thank you so much for leaving one. 💜 Many blessings dear friends.