September 8, 2018

Saturday 9: Gotta Travel On (1959)

Being it's Saturday I'm joining in on  *Saturday 9*  for today. Hope You join in too. It's a fun meme.
Billy Wayne Grammer (August 28, 1925 – August 10, 2011)
Saturday 9: Gotta Travel On (1959)
 

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it Here

1) In this song, Billy Grammer sings that "summer's almost gone, winter's coming on." When you look out your window, do you see any evidence that the seasons are changing?  Today hopefully in the 70's It's been in the 90s with heat index of 100-105 degrees. The hottest summer ever. Here it is September 8th and finally cooler weather broke through. Let's hope it lasts, though I doubt it.

2) He admits he has laid around and played around for too long. Do you consider lazy days to be wasted days?  Again No! Being retired most of my days are lazying around but not wasted. After normal house cleaning, working on my blog, creating graphics and writing poetry, I'm far from lazy.

3) Billy relaxed by fishing. Tell us about a visit you made to a pier, or a ride you took on a boat, this past year. (Bonus points if you went fishing!)  Not this past year but past Hudson River cruises and my fishing days are over. I used to salt water fish.

4) Born in 1925, Mr. Grammer was the eldest of 13 children. He and his wife Ruth were childless. What do you think is the ideal size for a family? I don't have an ideal size, whatever works for other families. I had 4 myself including identical mirror boy twins, my daughter (the eldest) and my youngest a son.

5) This song was very popular on juke boxes back in 1959. When were you last in a bar or restaurant that had a juke box? Did you play it?  Probably in the 60's and yes, I've played this song and owned it on a 45 vinyl.

6) In 1959, movie tickets zoomed up in price to $1.00 and Ben Hur was the big blockbuster. What's the last movie you saw in a theater? Do you remember how much the ticket cost?  The movie was "Florence Foster Jenkins" with Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant in 2016 and it was $5.00 senior citizen discount. Now I just rent them on Amazon Prime as I don't go to theaters anymore.

7) Huckleberry Hound was a hit with the younger audience in 1959. What cartoon did you enjoy as a kid?  When I was a kid radio was the medium and Saturday afternoons it was matinee at the movies and my favorite was Bugs Bunny.

8) In 1959, continuing dramas (soap operas) were still broadcast each day on the radio. When you turn on the radio, do you listen for talk, news, or music?  Definitely music.

9) Random question -- Which competition would you rather judge: The Pillsbury Bake Off, The Miss America Pageant, or Dancing with the Stars?  Dancing With The Stars. Bake Offs and Beauty Pageant don't interest me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keeping With The Subject, Quote Of The Day
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until the next time dear family and friends, be blessed

10 comments:

  1. I could live without all the rain we're to get this weekend, but temperatures in the 60s will sure be welcome after the heat of the last two weeks. I don't believe the heat is done with us, yet. Our daughter got married on Sept. 23 last year and it was well over 90 degrees. The wedding was outside and I ended up with heat exhaustion from running around setting up the outside service and reception!

    I remember those Saturday afternoons huddled around the radio with my friends waiting for what seemed like hours to try to record our favorite songs...only to have the dog bark or someone knock on the door right in the middle of it. It never failed. LOL

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions and you had interesting answers. Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that Mr. Grammer's birthday just past! Let's think of this as a tribute to him.

    I think "normal house cleaning" removes you from the definition of "lazy." But then it must be said, I'm kind of a slob. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had an extremely hot summer and I'm so glad to be past that. I'm impressed you actually owned this record. I remember the song but didn't recognize it by the title. I had to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I enjoyed your answers! We don't go to movie theaters anymore either. My chair is more comfortable, the tickets are free and the popcorn better at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to go do this now, I almost forgot.
    I love your header. So autumny. I better get on the stick with my blog too.Enjoyed your answers, got to know more about you and always like what I learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Toni! It is raining here again. It makes me sleepy. It really has been a hot summer. I am ready for some cool weather since I have to be out in it at recess at the school. I love your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers, Toni...and yep, much cooler, it is presently 58* here in Hornell at 12:44--what a welcome relief from the last 2 weeks. We are under a flood watch until Tuesday though...I guess that hurricane will affect us somehow here in western NY.

    I hope you have a lovely day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are still hot and sticky here in VA. It's overcast but no rain to cool things off yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your comments...Looking forward to fall here in Florida. It is still hot, but the humidity is a little lower today and I actually sat outside in my Secret Garden for a few minutes. It was very pleasant, except for the mosquitoes, as we've had so much rain this summer...they are brutal little bugs...couldn't stay out for long. I remember that song very well.

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing comments from family and friends. Thank you so much for leaving one. 💜 Many blessings dear friends.