June 19, 2019

Wednesday's Poetry ~ Country Home

Growing up in New York City, the Bronx and being a so-called city girl I didn't know what country life was like until I moved upstate in the "country" Town of Germantown. What a difference from the city home and streets I grew up in. I do miss the hustle and bustle of the city especially walking to many stores and the subway. But I have grown to love the country and the peace and quiet. I pictured what it would be like if I grew up here, and wrote the following poem when seeing this painting I found on my flash drive titled "Country Living" by Thomas Kinkade.




The Country Home

Walking along the country road
In the distance stands our home
With fields of hay and lush green grass
Where deer and wild pheasant roam

The big old oak tree stands alone
And a tire swing is hanging low
I watch as laughter fills the air
As little brother swings to and fro

On the porch Grandpa sits in rocking chair
While Mama's making dinner inside
Grandma sweeps the dirt from porch steps
And in the pond ducks gracefully glide

The farm tractor roaring on the hill
With Papa preparing the fertile ground
To plant the fields with golden corn
As all this adds to the country sound

Oh the memories of those bygone days
Of our family life so long ago
Where in the distance down the road
Stood the country home that I miss so.

Toni Taddeo ©
Thought For The Day


Until the next time dear family and friends, have a day of blessings.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Toni. Another great post! I love Germantown and Hudson, of course, smiles. Hope you have a lovely day my friend, I do believe summer us upon us here in western NY, another sticky morning, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather is the same here dear Linda. Have a great day anyway :)

      Delete
  2. I love that poem and the vision in invokes in my mind. What a beautiful place to live and grow and love. I am glad that you are enjoying "country life" these days, even if it isn't exactly the way you imagined it, it is still a place of peace. This was lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one a lot Toni. I grew up in a small town just outside NYC.,.20 mins by car just across the river. Been to Bronx and Brooklyn so many times, especially Brooklyn and my mother especially as she was a crazy Yankee's fan.
    I can see the tractor and hear it too from y our poem. I like when I can hear things a poem talks about :) Rainy and humid here along the NJ coastline.

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing comments from family and friends. Thank you so much for leaving one. 💜 Many blessings dear friends.